Grealish welcomes approval for new school building for Scoil Bhríde, Lackagh

Posted by noelg noelg
Independent Deputy for Galway West, Noel Grealish has welcomed the announcement by the Minister for Education that she has given approval for a new school building for Scoil Bhríde, Lackagh, to proceed to construction in 2016.

‘I have worked closely with the Board of Management and Principal of Scoil Bhríde for a number of years and I am delighted that the school has now been approved to proceed to construction,’ said Deputy Grealish.

‘This school was previously designated with a band rating of 1.1, but it was not included in the Schools Building Programme in 2011.’

‘Despite the decision to remove the school from the Building List in 2011, the school progressed their project through the architectural and planning stages and I am delighted that construction of the new school has now been approved by the Minister for Education.’

‘The Tuam Diocese has donated a site for the new Scoil Bhríde and it will be possible for the school to remain at their current location until the new school is built.  Planning permission for the new school was granted in December 2014 with no objections.’

‘This school has grown rapidly, with enrolments increasing by 110% in the last 10 years and in 2018, the projected enrolment of the school will be 240 pupils.’

‘With a large number of classes using prefabs, the announcement by the Minister will be very welcome news for parents, teachers and pupils,’ said Deputy Grealish.

'I am also delighted to note that Claregalway Educate Together National School will proceed to construction in 2017 and Scoil Iosaif Naofa and Scoil Mhuire in Oranmore are on the list for construction between 2019 and 2021.'